The present initiative proposes a contribution to the process of review and renewal of the subjects’ curricula, in order to ensure the integration of critical thinking principles and methodology into national curricula, particularly into the curricular components that are referred to as methodological suggestions (suggestions for implementation). We start from the rationale that this way, the curricula, as regulatory documents, will impact, in their turn, the further promotion and implementation of critical thinking principles and methodology. Textbook authors, teacher training providers, and assessment and examination specialists and agencies will have to pay greater attention to aspects connected to the development of critical thinking skills.
The goal of the project is to support the process of qualitative improvement of the National Curriculum for pre-university education in the Republic of Moldova via the integration of the critical thinking development principles and methodology into the renovated version of subject curricula.
To analyze the current national curricular documents (the subject curricula, version 2006) for pre-university education, in order to identify the gaps regarding the incorporation of critical thinking development principles into the methodology component;
To offer concrete recommendations for improvement of national curricular documents (the subject curricula) for pre-university education to the representatives of curriculum developers groups involved in the curriculum renewal process.
Activities will include analysis of the subject curricula, preparation of analysis report and recommendations, round table and workshops with curriculum developers for incorporation of recommendations.
The expected outcomes include the following:
• The curricular component for “methodological suggestions” within the subject curricula in pre-university education will incorporate and foster the critical thinking principles and methodology.
• Subsequently, the renewed curriculum will have clear input and support for teachers, for applying the CT principles into the classroom.
• Also, textbook authors, having to consider curricular prescriptions, will have to ensure using CT approaches in the process of teaching materials development.
• Teacher training providers will have to adjust their training programs, in order to respond to teachers’ needs, offering them the knowledge and skills for applying CT methodology in daily teaching.
The sustainable effect of this initiative is ensured by the status of curricular documents, as regulatory documents for pre-university education.
TARGET GROUP AND AREA
• Cca 50 Curriculum developers from Moldova who will be involved in the review and renewal of the National Curriculum for pre-university education (primary, gymnasium and lyceum level).
• Cca 50 other curriculum developers
• Textbook and teaching materials developers
• Teacher training providers
• Ministry of Education
• School teachers
• Students from pre-university education
The project will be implemented in close cooperation with the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Moldova. The Ministry will not be directly involved in implementation. However, the exchange of information and reciprocal information will be important for achieving project results.